There is nothing better than a salad that is nutritious and full of flavor! You really can't go wrong with any salad, throw a bunch of seasonal fruits and vegetables in a bowl, top with nuts or seeds, add a protein, whip up some homemade dressing and you're good to go!
I had a few slices of roasted butternut squash leftover from my Butternut Squash Lasagna recipe from last night, which inspired me to make a fresh fall salad. This is
Pomegranates can be messy and just a pain to de-seed. Below is a technique I use to get those pomegranate seeds out (the seeds are edible but the "sarcotesta" or seed-coat is actually what our tastebuds enjoy).
- Using a sharp knife, cut around the pomegranate with out cutting all the way through because you don't want to damage the pomegranate seeds.
- While holding the pomegranate on both sides, twist until it breaks in half.
- Once you have two pomegranate halves, using a large wooden spoon pound the pomegranate above a large bowl.
- The pomegranate seeds will then just fall out into the bowl.
- Complete protein: High quality of protein is based on the mixture of amino acids eggs contain, amino acids are the building blocks of protein.
- Fiber rich: With spinach and kale as a base, you're already starting a good foundation for the amount of fiber you're consuming. However, chia seeds are loaded with dietary fiber as well, just one ounce of chia seeds contains 11 grams of fiber.
- Healthy fats: Avocados are a source of healthy fats and fats act the messengers in our body helping proteins do their job. Other examples of good fats are olive oil, seeds hence pumpkin seeds as well as fish like salmon.
- Vitamins: Our body uses a variety amount of vitamins for a variety of different functions that is why it is important to keep our diet "colorful" consuming a range of different types of foods.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vin.
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp water
Salt & pepper to taste
Mixed greens (I used kale and spinach about 3-4 cups)
1 cup butternut squash
1 organic egg
handful of pumpkin seeds
About 1/3 cup pomegranates
- Whisk dressing ingredients all together and place in refrigerator to chill.
- Saute or boil one organic egg.
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top of avocado
- Add all ingredients together except the egg in a medium sized bowl, add dressing and mix.
- If you boiled your egg you can can let it chill, chop and then add to the salad but I like yolk so I add an over medium egg last.
With love & health,